Don't we all just wake up one day and think, "Wait, what?! Why am I doing EVERYTHING?"
Usually I like to to be positive, and tell you what you CAN do. But let's mix it up. . .
I have seven terrible ways to try get kids to do chores. If you want the more encouraging ways - click on the button below, but for today, let's have a little negative-o fun!
HOW TO NOT GET YOUR CHILD TO DO CHORES:
1. Let them do nothing until they are 11 and then demand they get off their butts and help.
2. Be super duper inconsistent. No chores until you've had it, then chores for three hours until you are done, gosh dern it! Add in copious yelling and shaming - kids love that.
3. Hate chores yourself, talk disparagingly about household tasks. Complain bitterly about the lack of help from your spouse.
4. They give an inch, you take a mile. Kids are jolly helping you shred the cheese, you demand they set the table. Kids happily (or not hostiley) fold their clothes, you insist they clean out the crap from underneath their bed.
5. Only interact over chores when you are terse, angry, annoyed, overwhelmed, embarrassed, at your wits end.
6. Expect your child to want to do chores, nay - expect your child to be grateful for doing chores. Have't they read the long term studies about chores and children? Don't they realize that YOU giving THEM chores is an act of LOVE?
7. Never accept a "No" from your child when you request help with a chore. (Pssst, if it's not optional - do NOT ask, instead say, "Jimmy, you may help me clear the dishwasher now.")