THE TOP 5.5 REASONS WE ALL NEED PARENT EDUCATION!
1. Parenting classes remind us that raising kids IS challenging, and we aren't the only knuckleheads out there confused and frustrated.
2. We learn about a variety of resources - books, workshops, classes, online seminars, podcasts that can infuse our parenting with inspiration and new ideas.
3. We see the universality of all our experiences. Rarely is a parent educator surprised by a question or a problem, because it's the same stuff over and over - messy rooms, problems with friends, picky eaters, no sleepers, homework avoiders.
4. We laugh together, because it IS funny. Seriously - it's funny the parent/child dance. Now, it's not funny when it's you, but it IS funny when we can see together the hilarious things we do to try to get a four-year-old shod and fed before 8am.
5. We can see ourselves more clearly - and that's where change happens. Change happens when we are in the middle of our very own lives - no excuses, no over-dramatization, no soft focus. In the safety of a big group we can quietly notice where we might be too demanding or too permissive.
5.5. It gets us out of the house and aways from the children (tee hee - but seriously, you deserve a break today.).
From past participants:
"I will really benefit from this and so will my child. I think I will approach parenting with a greater sense of options and more compassion, openness and hopefully, patience. Thank you! This was really excellent and well worth it."
"Role playing and listening tools provided concrete ways to interact with my kids in a less emotionally elevated way."
"I plan to implement many of the tools/strategies immediately (but gradually!). I found myself up last night reflecting on the first night, and had energy and enthusiasm this morning when I saw my kiddos. I definitely plan to attend future PEP classes."